Friday, September 10, 2010



We have our first guest soup blogger! James has been kind enough to share with us his miso soup recipe. Every guest soup blogger gets a cuddly creature posted with their recipe. James chose a bunny, of course. As there are some ingredients in this recipe that are unfamiliar to me, and maybe others, I have starred them and given definitions at the bottom.


'On the Sunday before Labor Day, I found myself without plans so I made some calls around to my friends to see what was going on; then I took a nap. When I woke up I was hungry, and no one had called me back, but instead of getting depressed, I decided to go play in the kitchen with some fresh vegetables I picked up at the farmers market. On the way home I’d been smart enough to stop at the Japanese grocery too, so I had fresh Dashi-Miso* and some dried Kombu*-- perfect for Miso soup.

Now, when I cook I try to take care to use everything. Often I’ll use the tops of broccoli for example, and keep the stalks in the freezer for soup stock later. This time I wanted to use the turnip leaves in my stock, but didn’t want them floating around in my clean, clear soup. I decided to make some turnip leaf furikake* for onigiri* to fill out the rest of the meal.

Soup stock

Leaf tops from 4 small red turnips, stems removed
1 piece dried kombu about 2 inches (will grow by about 3 times during cooking so be bashful when you cut from the dried bundle.)
1 bashful handful of katsuobushi*-- if you're vegan this can be left out or use more wakame* or other favorite seaweed.
1 palmful of wakame
2 tablespoons of light soy sauce or 1 tablespoon amino acids
3 cups of fresh water (if you use a filter pitcher, make new water for your soup stock, not just the water that’s been sitting in the fridge for 3 hours. Fresh water really does make a difference)

Place ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil; cover and turn off burner as soon as the water begins to roll. Let stand for at least one hour, then remove kombu and discard. Take the turnip leaves out and place in a colander to drain for later, but don’t strain stock.

Soup

2 small red turnips peeled and diced to ¼ inch (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 ½ cups fresh small oyster mushrooms
1 ½ tablespoon Dashi-Miso, maybe more
Soy sauce after cooking to taste

Bring ingredients except Miso to slow boil; once rolling. add Miso and continue boiling for 5 to 10 minutes--it can be longer, but less is more. If you like less crunchy turnips add them first and cook for 10 minutes and then add mushrooms for a final 5 minutes.

Serve immediately in beautiful dark colored bowls.

Furikake

1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 tablespoon light soy-sauce
Turnip leaves
2 dried Thai chili peppers (less if you can’t handle the heat)

Take the turnip leaves that have been draining in the colander and with a lint-free cloth press as much water out as possible. Take leaves and roll loosely, then slice very thin; separate when done. Using a very sharp knife cut chili peppers lengthwise into narrow strips; discard seeds. On high heat add oil to frying pan; let stand till oil is very thin but not smoking. Add turnips and chilies and fry on high heat for 30 seconds to 1 minute constantly moving, push everything to one side of pan then add soy-sauce and let come to a sizzle on bare side of pan; then quickly toss together and remove from heat.

Serve as a topping with fresh brown rice or mix 1 cup Furikake with 2 cups cooked rice and form into golf-ball size balls; eat with squares of roasted Nori, yum.

Serves a clean, light, romantic dinner for 2.'

*Miso: soy bean paste
Dashi: a vegetarian stock used in many Japanese dishes
Kombu: dried kelp.
Furikake: a seasoning sprinkled over rice, often containing soy sauce, dried fish, and miso.
Onigiri: a ball or triangle of hot or cold rice.
Katsuobushi: dried bonito flakes (a type of smoked fish)
Wakame: an edible seaweed
Nori: edible algae

No comments:

Post a Comment